veni vidi vici
Day 2 @ Tuesday, July 7, 2009
If I can summarize the last two days in two words, it would be Bzzz! (drill) and Gurgle! (suctioning water). Not that I'm complaining, but it's 90% what I hear. My internship is still fun though and the people are super nice :)

Day 1:
- mostly getting oriented with the people and equipment (there's too many!!!)
- being informed on what we did after a patient is done
- watched some X-rays being done
- mostly observation, a little assisting
- only two patients for the day

Day 2:
- lots of patients, lots of water, lots of drilling, lots of blood!
- more blood, tooth pulling, bloody holes in gums, rotten teeth, cavities, denture sculpting, reshaping teeth, synthesizing temporary and permanent cement, and a temporary crown insertion after a root canal
- helped with X-ray being done
- a lot of assisting meaning very up close observation (so much blood......)
- watched my cousin perform surgery on my uncle
- took a few pictures and recorded a tooth extraction

Seriously guys, brush your teeth! You only get one set! I sympathize for the patients. If cavities aren't convincing, would you like a giant freaking syringe with numbing agent injected into your mouth?

Anyways, I never knew that cardiovascular problems is the most important thing a dentist should screen for (next to allergies and antibiotics) because the standard numbing agent contains epinephrine (adrenaline).

Noteable dentist-to-patient dialogue and personal thoughts:
"We're going to numb your mouth to ease the pain."
"Cool! My first sight of numbing! ...Oh my God! That's a freaky looking syringe! "

I'm not used to blood yet but I think I was thrown in on that one.
Instance 1: bleeding gums: Ok. He's bleeding a lot but it's not that bad. If this is the worst I witness, easy peasy!.
Instance 2: tooth extraction: Oh God! There's a profusely bleeding hole where the tooth used to be!...Why is she deliberately digging in and scooping out the blood!?
"Suction the blood away from my tool whenever I pull the tool out of the gum please."
"Yes, Doctor...Oh God. The blood!"


P.S. - Scrubs are amazingly comfy!

Comment(s)

chew on this
If you search the world for happiness, you may find it in the end, for the world is round and will lead you back to your door.

time travel
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
June 2010

tweet tweet